Tuesday, February 17, 2009

I am losing it and I had a breakdown

I AM LOSING IT -

It's true. Even though we have made a couple of quick trips to Las Vegas in the last few weeks, you will not see any pictures because I forgot to take the camera on either trip

&.

I HAD A BREAKDOWN -

For Valentine's weekend, we decided to hop a JetBlue flight on Saturday morning and catch a show for Valentine's Day and work in a visit with Fred. Well, I wanted to take the power wheelchair so Melanie wouldn't have to push me all over town. I had it all planned out . . . we would take bus 108 from the airport down to our hotel, catch the show at the Las Vegas Hilton that evening and generally have a relaxing weekend. Saturday afternoon is when I had the breakdown . . . it was a wheelchair breakdown. My trusty chair which I have had for six years just quit. No power and it would not go into free-wheel mode so we were stuck near the MGM. We did manage to get it on the monorail and make our way over to the Hilton for the show. We had to get back to our hotel which was about two blocks away froom the Hilton. We found that if we tipped the 250 lb wheelchair toward it's side the control would re-engage enough to drive 30 to 100 feet. So at 10:30pm we were driving, stopping, tipping, and continuing. It took about a 45 minutes to get back to our hotel. Melanie's back and arms were sore from tipping the chair, I was toast from trying to help, but we made it back. Fred came to rescue us after church and he and Brent loaded the chair into his Ridgeline. We left the chair in Vegas (What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas . . . certainly applies to wheelchair breakdowns)

I am now in the market for a new wheelchair. Six years of hard service just wore the poor thing out.

1 comment:

Jared and Shelby said...

Has that chair traveled more on the ground or in the air? :)